GSE Leadership Council students develop the skills to become environmental leaders in their communities through project-based environmental action and cross-cultural exchange. The program links students to other Leadership Council participants in California (Sonoma, Marin, Contra Costa and Santa Cruz) and abroad (Nicaragua and Ecuador). Students will examine environmental issues and solutions from multi-disciplinary perspectives.
- Attend GSE Leadership Council every other week (2.5 hrs)
- During off weeks students will meet with their club and submit their plan for the week to their Program Coordinator (1.5 hrs)
- Plan environmental clubs and school garden programs (2 hrs per week)
- Complete a final project that benefits their community
- Participate in Fall and Winter Leadership Retreats. The Fall Leadership Retreat brings together students from across GSE’s 4 Northern California counties, while the Winter Leadership Retreat will also include international students from GSE’s communities in Nicaragua and Ecuador.
What You’ll Gain
- Build strong relationships with other youth leaders.
- Strengthen your knowledge, skills and connections to emerge as the next generation of community leaders committed to sustainable environmental action.
- Participate in additional activities related to Youth Leadership Development and Community Organizing. These will include deeper discussions of local issues facilitated by your Program Coordinator, field trips, and meetings with guest speakers from local organizations.
GSE is committed to ensuring that family finances are never a barrier to student’s participation in our programming. Students are encouraged to fundraise for their Leadership Council costs by using our fundraising resources below. If you are interested in being considered for a scholarship, we will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis and encourage you to apply as soon as possible.