Students who excel in the Garden Program in their high school are invited to join the Leadership Program that brings together top students from all high schools in each region. This select group participates in activities designed by institutions that are world-renowned for developing leadership skills. Participants identify the impact they would like to have in their community, then design and implement an effective local project.
- Attend GSE Leadership Council every other week (2.5 hrs)
- During off weeks students will meet with their club and submit their plan for the week to their Program Coordinator (1.5 hrs)
- Plan environmental clubs and school garden programs (2 hrs per week)
- Complete a final project that benefits their community
- Participate in Fall and Winter Leadership Retreats. The Fall Leadership Retreat brings together students from across GSE’s 4 Northern California counties, while the Winter Leadership Retreat will also include international students from GSE’s communities in Nicaragua and Ecuador.
What You’ll Gain
- Build strong relationships with other youth leaders.
- Strengthen your knowledge, skills and connections to emerge as the next generation of community leaders committed to sustainable environmental action.
- Participate in additional activities related to Youth Leadership Development and Community Organizing. These will include deeper discussions of local issues facilitated by your Program Coordinator, field trips, and meetings with guest speakers from local organizations.
Leadership Council activities in your region
GSE is committed to ensuring that family finances are never a barrier to student’s participation in our programming. Students are encouraged to fundraise for their Leadership Council costs by using our fundraising resources below. If you are interested in being considered for a scholarship, we will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis and encourage you to apply as soon as possible.